The Icelandic National Team is not only popular in Iceland, but around the whole world. Since the amazing performance at the Euro Cup in 2016, everyone has been talking about the Icelandic team, their Viking spirit and not to forget the Viking Clap. Many remember when the Icelandic team beat England and got a draw against Portugal in the Euro Cup.
Now that the Icelandic National Team is playing at the World Cup for the first time, we thought we should tell you some interesting facts about the team and its members. This is the first time in history that such a small nation qualifies for the World Cup.
Fun facts about the Icelandic National Team:
1. Iceland is the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup with a population of around 330.000.
2. The coach of the team, Heimir Hallgrimsson, works as a dentist. He lives in Vestmannaeyjar, a small and beautiful island just outside of the south coast of Iceland. The population of the island is less than 5.000 but there are million puffins on the island.
3. Birkir Már Sævarsson plays for his local club in Iceland, Valur. He also works for a salt factory in Iceland and had to ask his boss for a couple of days off during June and July so he could participate in the World Cup.
4. Hannes Halldorsson, the goal keeper of the Icelandic National Team, is a film director and he directed the biggest commercial in Iceland for the World Cup. A Coca Cola commercial starring the Icelandic National team and other known athletes from Iceland.
Here you can see the commercial:
5. When Hannes Halldorsson was 21 year old, he was playing in the Icelandic 3rd division.
6. Do you remember the crazy commentator from Iceland that became famous during the Euro 2016 tournament? His son in now in the team. His name is Albert Gudmundsson.
7. Jon Dadi Bodvarsson comes from Selfoss in south Iceland. The population of Selfoss is less than 7.000.
8. In 2011 Sverrir Ingi Ingason played for Augnablik, an amateur team in the third division in Iceland. In 2016, or 5 years later, he was playing at the Euro.
9. More than 10% of the Icelandic nation went to France to support the national team at Euro 2016.
10. The team manager is known in Iceland as “Siggi dúlla” or Siggi cutie. The story tells he got his nickname because when he was 14 years old he got drunk in a bear custom and looked like a total cutie.
Here you can see a video of Siggi in the bear custom:
11. Rurik Gislason is a model for skin care products for his ex father in law company.
12. Aron Gunnarsson, the teams captain, has a giant tattoo on his back featuring the national flag and the country’s coat of arms, which shows the four guardians of Iceland.
I hope you enjoyed these fun facts about the Icelandic National Team. Comment below if you know of any more fun facts about the team. Don’t for get to check out our other blog posts to get to know more about Iceland.
Lets end this post with a video of the Viking Clap so we can all participate in the next game.
Would you like to subscribe to our Mailing List to get news and updates from Iceland?